Thursday, May 9, 2013

Why I Sing

I had to share this...
I had to share this because my worship music helps me through difficult times in my life. When I was little, my dad used to record worship symposiums in Dallas.

At one of my favorite symposiums, they played this song. This is the first worship song I ever fell in love with.
Last year I was going through many of my dad's old video tapes used for editing, and I ran across the tape with this song! I was so excited! As an eight year old girl, I ran all over the house singing this song at the top of my lungs. I found myself doing the same thing again last year - well, I wasn't really running. I was just singing at the top of my lungs. :)

As a teenager, I learned the importance of meaning what you say when you sing worship songs. For example, when I sing, "It is Well With My Soul," I believe it should be well with my soul. How can you sing "10,000 Reasons" and not mean it? This is the same for, "How Great Thou Art," "All I Need is You," "Trust and Obey," "Shout to the Lord," and "In Christ Alone."
I have absorbed worship songs for 34 years. My mother sang them over me as a child, and I watched her sing on the worship team for years leading others into worship. The words of every song I have ever sang are written all over my heart. 

A few years after my dad was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis, my father and I danced to this song in the living room. It's a memory I will cherish forever, and the last time I danced with my father.

When my dad died, I sang. When I had my first miscarriage, I sang. When I lost Brynlee, I sang. 
I sing because God uses it to heal me. 
When I'm sad, I sing. 
Tonight, I'm singing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment